I was reminded mid August that September is a new type of “January,” when I received many phone calls, emails and texts regarding personal training and boot camp classes for September. It’s the time of the year when, after holidays, sleeping in, eating camping food, and drinking more beer than we’d like to admit J . We are feeling the need to get back to routine, healthy eating and exercise (“on track”).
September is absolutely a great time to create and start new goals and habits. But really, anytime is a great time to start, the key is to start. So although its week two of September, and maybe you haven’t gotten that fresh start you were hoping for today is a new day and a great time to start fresh.
Here are a few tips to SMASH it:
- Sit down and write out some SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time oriented) goals
- 1 for the week
- 1 for 3 months
- 1 for 6 months
- 1 for a year
- Ask yourself, why do you want to achieve this goal?
- Is this a repeat goal?
- What will I do differently to achieve it this time?
- What is your “deep” motivation?
- Prioritize: Write out action steps to achieve your goals and put them into a calendar
- Be willing to say no to other things to be able to put your goals first
- Set yourself up for success, by planning … i.e. set out your gym clothes the night before
- Positive Self Talk
- Tell yourself you can do it
- Reward yourself for accomplishments
- When you make your weekly goal then reward yourself
- Find an accountability partner
- Be realistic
- Tackle one goal at a time
- Know that its not going to go perfectly and that’s ok
- Be prepared to fall and get back up – its not failure but a chance to learn and start again
Whether its fitness, nutrition or health goals- taking these small steps will help you get to where you want to be – take the plunge!!!
If you have any questions or need any help or advice contact me by posting questions below or reach out to me on Instagram @susiemeyers or Susie Meyers Athletics Strength Health (SMASH fitness) on Facebook. Check out my website to see how I can best help you to SMASH your goals.